Metro Manila · January Stammtisch: Escaping the Concrete Jungle
"Quick Escapes" was the topic of the first "Stammtisch" Meeting in 2015, and Manila's Megacitizens had a lot travel tips to share.
The Stammtisch met as usual at the cozy Cafe Curieux. With its outdoor area, Mediterranean furniture, tapas and French music, the venue in the Jupiter-Burgos-Kalayaan HotSpot already qualifies as a quick getaway in itself.
If you want to escape the city for one or two days during the weekend, here are some of the best ideas for Luzon and nearby islands, approved by Manila's Megacitizens:
- Relax in one of the resorts in Laiya, Batangas, 4 hours by bus from Manila.
- Do island-hopping in 100 Islands, Pangasinan.
- Watch the sunset in Potipot, Zambales.
- Re-enact Survivor Philippines in Caramoan.
- Go surfing in La Union or Baler.
- Hike along the cliffs of Batanes.
- Learn about Philippine WWII history in El Corregidor.
- Conquer the mountains of southern Luzon, e.g. Mt. Manabo, Gulugod Baboy, Pico de Loro, or Mt. Makiling.
- Discover hidden beaches in Mindoro.
- Stroll in the old city of Bacolod.
- Attend one of the numerous festivals in Bicol.
- Enjoy paradise in Coron, 45 minutes flight from Manila to Busuanga.
- No time for leaving the city to relax? Indulging in the buffet at Sofitel and enjoying the view of Manila Bay might do the trick as well!
For more suggestions, visit our Travel & Countrside section.
The Megacitizens Stammtisch meeting is a bi-monthly casual get-together for expats and Manilenos, an opportunity to meet interesting people and talk about all aspects of life in the Megacity. Want to stay updated about future events? Like our Facebook page and subscribe to our newsletter!